Monday, December 27, 2010

You need to watch Waking Life.
It's a complete mindfuck. DO IT. 
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7583894250854515095#


"So the story is the story of the cosmos now. The moment is not just a passing, empty nothing yet. And this is in the way in which these secret passages happen. Yes, it's empty with such fullness, that the great moment, the great life of the universe is pulsating in it. And each one, each object, each place, each act leaves a mark. And that story is singular. But, in fact, it's story after story."
             
"Our critique began as all critiques begin: with doubt. Doubt became our narrative. Ours was a quest for a new story, our own. And we grasp toward this new history driven by the suspicion that ordinary language couldn't tell it. Our past appeared frozen in the distance, and our every gesture and accent signified the negation of the old world and the reach for a new one. The way we lived created a new situation, one of exuberance and friendship, that of a subversive microsociety in the heart of a society which ignored it. Art was not the goal but the occasion and the method for locating our specific rhythm and buried possibilities of our time."

"Given the right circumstances, a new world was just as likely as an old one."

"There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance of life."

"What are you writing?" "A novel." "What's the story?" "There's no story. It's just...people, gestures, moments, bits of rapture, fleeting emotions. In short, the greatest stories ever told." "Are you in the story?" "I don't think so. But then I'm kind of reading it and then writing it."

"Which is the most universal human characteristic--fear or laziness?"

"And where most consider their individual relationship to the universe, I contemplate relationships of my various selves to one another."

"They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Can't you say the same thing about life?"

"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

"I had a friend once who told me that the worst mistake that you could make...is to think that you are alive."

"If the world that we are forced to accept is false and nothing is true, then everything is possible. On the way to discovering what we love, we will find everything we hate, everything that blocks our path to what we desire. The comfort will never be comfortable for those who seek what is not on the market."

"You a dreamer?" "Yeah." "I haven't seen too many of you around lately. Things have been tough lately for dreamers."

"I don't want a straw. I want real human moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give that up. I don't want to be an ant, you know?"

"What's it like to be a character in a dream?"

"And so many think because "then" happens, "now" isn't. But didn't I mention the ongoing "wow" is happening right now? We are all coauthors of this dancing exuberance... where even our inabilities are having a roast. We are the authors of ourselves, coauthoring a gigantic Dostoyevsky novel starring clowns. This entire thing we're involved with called the world is an opportunity to exhibit how exciting alienation can be. Life is a matter of a miracle that is collected over time by moments flabbergasted to be in each other's presence."

"An assumption develops that you cannot understand life and live life simultaneously. I do not agree entirely. Which is to say I do not exactly disagree. I would say that life understood is life lived. But the paradoxes bug me, and I can learn to love and make love to the paradoxes that bug me. And on really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion. Before you drift off, don't forget. Which is to say, remember."

"I'm rapturously breathing in all the odors and essences of life. I've been to the brink of total oblivion. I remember and ferment the desire to remember everything. Because remembering is so much more a psychotic activity than forgetting."

"All of life is, "No, thank you. No, thank you."Then ultimately it's, "Yes, I give in. Yes, I accept. Yes, I embrace." I mean, that's the journey. - Everyone gets to the "yes" in the end, right? - Right."

No comments:

Post a Comment